Re: [pct-l] Deet Info

We've read all that, and more. What we don't bother reading are
uninformed speculations about the links (completely unproven in any
medical study) between DEET and human cancers, and we don't pass on
other peoples' uninformed speculations. There is no similarity
between DEET and agent orange, or agents speculated to cause Gulf War
Syndrome, so don't make idiotic comparisons. You know how to hike--
stick to discussing that.

>  I would like to clarify my post on deet.  I AM NOT A DOCTOR, BUT I did read
>an artical that claims deet is causing liver problems with long term use. The
>article claimed that deet was absorbed though the skin and was thought to
>damage liver and possibly cause cancer. As outdoor people, we are aware of
>skin cancer. We need to be aware of other harmful chemicals we place on our
>skin. Just because the Army has used DEET since 1956 doesn't make it safe. (
>does agent orange or gulf syndrome ring a bell ) Hikers are welcome to mix
>this with their tange if they wish, I'm just stating what I read and thought
>fellow hikers might be interested. I received a few private post saying that
>I don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, you can't make everybody happy.
>I still use deet in the spring to ward off ticks, but have reduced it's use
>after reading the article. It's funny that more people ( and Doctor's )
>haven't read this for themselves.
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *

Ben Schifrin
Wilderness Press