[pct-l] DEET and ticks

> From: Montedodge@aol.com
> Subject: [pct-l] Deets Revenge
>
> suckers. The one thing to throw into your plans though is how good deet works
> in repelling ticks. Up above Lake Chelan must be one of the biggest tick
> habitats I know of in the spring. I carry a small bottle of whatever brand
> with the highest deet% I can find. Put this on socks and pants to ward off
> hitchhikers. I still dab some on my neck and face at peak bug season. My

DEET marketers do not claim it works on ticks.  If a bottle claims to
repel ticks look for ingredients besides DEET (for example REI's Jungle
Juice Plus). Pyrethrin is the substance most commonly used to deal with
ticks.  It is applied to clothing (contact with human skin deactivates
it), and kills insects that come in contact.

Paul