Re: [pct-l] Clearcuts

  MrsGorp@aol.com wrote:

>Amen, thank goodness for loggers or I wouldn't have any toilet paper.  And I
>do like the double fluff kind....just means I have to dig a bigger cat hole
>when I go backpacking.

Actually a good portion of the trees logged are used as pulp (right Craig Giffen?), even though there is a cheaper and better alternative source for pulp: the stuff that the Delcaration of Independance and the Constitution are written on, hemp.

A little delving into history shows that the anti-cannabis movement was spearheaded by William Randolph Hearst, who was very politically connected and owned the studio that produced the infamous "Reefer Madness" movie. He also owned huge stands of timber in the Pacific Northwest. His timber was dropping in value due to competition from hemp.

He fixed that problem by getting commercial hemp made illegal in the anti marijuana laws he got his politician buddies to pass. Now any attempt at growing hemp in the USA is met with the "what sort of message will that send our youth" argument, which has about the same validity as saying poppy seeds on bagels promotes heroin use.

Ron Moak wrote:
 >> While the ground is visibly disturbed, if the trees are
removed via a Hi-Lead or in air, there is little compaction to the soil.<<

Most of the forest I've seen logged has had the trees removed via "Skidder and Truck" which leaves the whole area a mess. What percentage of tree removal is done via hi-lead or in the air?

-Brick
Speaking as List Member, not List Admin