[pct-l] Socks and stuff

 I now use smartwool socks for all climbing and hiking. For me , they hold up
well and are very comforable. As far as a water barrier goes, you can do well
still with the old bread sack trick. When my son was younger and his were
growing fast, I would just buy him cheap hi-tec boots for our hikes. You
could spray these with water-proofing which would work for awhile. The
problem was many trails in our backyard Olympics look more like creeks in the
spring than trails. Before gore-tex showed up on the shelves, many hikers,
boy scouts and outdoor people would just put bread sacks over their socks,
then put their boots on. Your feet may sweat more, but your can just swap
socks. Its amazing how good this works even though the cheap boots were
totally soaked.   ( of coarse, it's hard to beat a good leather greased up
quality boot ) This is just a tip, if you take lightweight, fabric boots
hiking, throw in some bread sacks in your pack. I'm sure the new gore-tex
socks from REI work well and are more durable, but this will work in a pinch
and the cost is zippo.