Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #871

Slyinmd@aol.com wrote:

>What is the law anyway and where does it apply?  Are the BLM and California
>State Park laws the same as the NPS and USFS?  As I previously stated, the
>only restrictions I ever saw in California were between onion Valley and
>Kearsarge Pass.

That's true as far as I know too.... I think Glen Aulin in YNP highly
encourages cannister use but I don't know technically if they are REQUIRED
there.
On the question of bears crashing tents, it happened to me at Flower Lake
in Onion Valley once about 6 yrs ago.  At dusk while putting my food into
the bearbox (since removed) a bear did visit my empty tent.  It did not
wreck it, but it clawed the door open and left muddy bear clawprints and
nostril-snot all over.  In the absence of anything to eat or even smell,
that bear for some reason or another did that.  I was ultra-careful with my
food, bagging all wrappers and utencils with the food in a rubberized bag
and not having it in the tent or allowing food to contact other gear in my
pack.  Onion Valley is of course the extreme example of bad bear
behavior......
I can't say WHY that bear found my tent interesting; I can only say he did,
and that I was careful with food and cooking.  But it's not a stretch to
say that the bear probably had success in the past with crashing tents.

I guess it would be a more interesting story if I had been asleep in the
tent at the time....or if Yogi had decided it would be a comfortable place
to relax for a while.....:-)

Kevin Corcoran