[pct-l] Re: Bears

I like Monte's idea of carrying a wrist sling shot.  It is light and any manner of pebble is usually available.  I may try this on my next hike.

There was a wire for hanging food from at a campsite that I camped at Lake Ediza this year.  It looked great and Jeff Z said it didn't look like any bears had climbed the tree since all the small branches were on both trees.  Upon closer inspection we noticed that the bark of one of the trees was literally sliced with claw marks!  Evidence that they certainly have tried.

I say that if you sleep with your food in an established campsite, late in the season, in known bear territory then you should be a candidate for the Darwin Awards.

Greg "Strider" Hummel