Re: [pct-l] Bears near Thousand Is. Lake on JMT

Dave,

How was the Banner climb?

I have camped at Thousand Island Lake for years and never had a run in with
a bear.  I have always counter-balanced and never had a bear take my food
or, to my knowledge, even try.  I may be lucky or my counter-balancing
methods may be good, or both.  I am also not ignorant (enough!) to believe
that just because of my fortune in the past that my future will also be
without bear incident.

I try to cook in one spot, camp well away and hang the food well away from
both.  I may try my food in a dry bag sunk in a lake next time, it sounds
like an idea worth checking out.

Greg "Strider" Hummel