RE: [pct-l] Guardia

Tom Writes >> I have not had a problem with a filter cloging for about 8
years ago. They
stopped clogging when:
1- I made sure that the water I was filtering wasen't hopelessly clogged
with mud [If it was I wrapped a bandana around the inlet end as a sort of
prefilter.]
2-I stopped trusting a 3 year old filter and purchased a new element every
summer.<<

Well this clearly illustrates the difference between long distance hiking
and normal backpacking. Thru-hiking can require a filter change every 2
weeks to a month depending upon the types of streams, weather conditions
etc. (ie rainy conditions pump more silt into streams).

Also I'm not sure how many filters survive a full hike. Mine lasted less
than 500 miles - granted that was filtering water for three people and we
drank lots of unfiltered water. Even with a manufactures guaranteed
replacement, it still can take weeks to get the replacement parts.

It's not that I have anything against filters. It's just most aren't made to
take that kind of abuse. I doubt the typical purchased filter gets used more
than 2 to 3 dozen times in it's entire life.

The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of what kind of filter you
take, you still need to carry another forms of water purification. And two
forms of purifications is one too many for me.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
Fallingwater Journals - www.fallingwater.com
Pacific Crest Trail Assoc. - www.pcta.org
American Long Distance Hikers Association - West -
www.gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw