RE: [pct-l] multifunctional rain gear

>From: CHARLEY_RENN@ex.cv.hp.com
>
>Where can we see this?
>
>It's interesting to me that you suggest the poncho for a groundcloth.
>I guess that still beats the heck out of the folks who advocate using
>their poncho for a tent.  They're stuck in camp any time it rains.

Charley,

There was a time (a long long time ago) where all we had was a poncho
and a one man tube tent (and maybe a state of the art Kelty Tioga if
we could afford it). Since the tube tent was only useful when it
rains, we would never think of using the tube tent unless there were
serious clouds overhead (worthless protection against the bugs; as a
matter of fact all the bugs would congregate with you in the tent
while it rained). Instead we would throw out our ponchos and sleep on
them. I guess we could have slept on top of the tube tents too, but
maybe the risk of puncturing the plastic was too great (I don't
remember that was 30 years ago).

I was just thinking last week as I was sleeping in my bivy on a
granitic ledge that I should be using a ground cloth and I thought
back to the days when we used a poncho. It would save on the wear and
tear of my bivy and would serve as a secondary rain parka or pack
cover or a quick shelter in a sudden downpour. Not a bad idea.

As for 'functional' raingear no one has mentioned an umbrella. Now my
masculine bravado keeps me from getting the nickname "Mary Poppins of
the Sierra people", but when trekking in Nepal or India carrying an
umbrella is the tool of choice. It's useful while hiking in the rain
and useful when it's too hot. I may just break that risk of being
judged by others and start carrying an umbrella when I backpack in the
States.

>(It always rains in Oregon.)

Not bad at all in my home town, Bend. Could be that all those
Californians are bringing their weather with them as they migrate
north ;-). Of course I should talk, I migrated south.

>thru-hiking and therefore either on the trail or in your tent (no gray
>area), this seems like the place I don't want a multifunctional unit.
>What am I missing?

Oh it's all about the reduction of weight and a good idea if you just
take a tarp and leave the ground cloth at home.

Dave

Alias Mary Poppins of the Sierra.