[pct-l] trail conditions for sections I&J

The most recent PCTA trail descriptions cite patchy snow and no longer
recommend ice axes for I & J. Does anyone else have recent (past week or
two) hiking experience in or around this area (especially Sonora Pass)?
I'm doing a leisurely stroll from Tahoe to Yosemite starting next week
and I'd rather not carry an axe if it's unnecessary. Right now I'm not
planning on it, but I'd like to hear from you if you think that is
unwise.
Thanks.
Slow Train