[pct-l] Filtered Water and Springs

Another question.  When I hiked the pct Oregon and half of Wash.  I filtered
all the water.  In the California section, people talk about Springs and in
the Journals I have been reading where they talk about drinking right from
the Springs.  So tell me please, When you come across a pipe giving water
and those big concrete tanks with water available and the Springs.  Is this
water safe to drink without filter...or maybe just bringing to a rolling
boil?  Here in Idaho I filter everything.
thanks,   marge (the old gal)