[pct-l] One more on Super Feet

I have not had good experience with SuperFeet for long distance hiking.  I
do agree that SuperFeet provide good arch support, so I use them in my
mountaineering boots.  However, the rigidity and lack of cushoninng really
did damage to feet while on the PCT in '96.  I kept them in from the
Tuolomne to Tahoe stretch but suffered from blood cells in my feet being
seriously crushed.  As soon as I switched back to Spenco Hiker my feet were
happy again.  Most thru hikers I encountered on the PCT in 96 and CDT in 98
use Sorbathane Ultrasole.  I thought it was cushony, but lacked arch support
and I got blisters on the bottom of my heal due to the slippery surface.
Though it got a low rating in Backpacker, may not last as long as SuperFeet,
and are a bit harder to find my wife and I will definitely stick to the
Spenco Hiker insole.
That is way to much discussion about an insole!
Dan Rufner
Director, UCSD Wilderness Orientation
Director, UCSD Group Adventures
Outback Adventures