Re: [pct-l] Running shoes or hiking boots?

Tom asked,
> I need some input from anyone who has done the jmt. I am considering doing
it in running shoes with low gaters. If anyone has any experience doing the
jmt in running shoes I would be interested in hearing about it.

A buddy and I did the JMT in 1987 in running shoes without any problem. But
we were also experienced trail runners. Today's trail running shoes are
great and very appropriate for fastpacking or lightweight backpacking. They
do not provide the same degree of ankle support as higher boots. I would
still use runnign shoes, but use one of the newer trail running shoes... or
my choice mentioned below.

Any good running store should have a section of trail running shoes. My
personal favorite right now are the Salomon Raid Wind shoes, very light,
water wicking, the best tread I have seen, no break-in required, easy
one-pull kevlar lacing. I bought a air last month and have run in them on
really bad trails. Thery will be my shoe for a Tahoe-Yosemite fastpack in
August.

The shoes are available through most REI stores, good backpacking stores, or
mailorder via www.adventurewerks.com Salomon has come up with a wining shoe
that has gotten rave reviews in the adventure racing world.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
author: FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers
web site: http://www.footworkpub.com/feet/index.htm