Re: [pct-l] At vs PCT

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:22:02 EDT Montedodge@aol.com writes:

> ahead when other people are coming. bummer  Any AT thru-hikers that
> can share  > about this or PCT hikers of recent years?

       Found fellow AT thru-hikers to be an all around great bunch of
people.  Heck, I find hikers to be an all around great bunch of people.
Make a point to say to everyone I met on the trail. Can't hurt to give  a
little hello.  Have yet to have anyone ignore me..

  There is, however, a growing "party" scene on the AT.  The outdoor
pursuits type of thing is trendy right now. So you have many people
"doing the AT" who do not care so much about the woods, but as a cool
thing to do. Maybe when this "SUV, lets by a $300 GTX shell to walk
around in the Mall, Polo hiking boots (?!?!?!)" trend goes away,  the AT
will not be quite as crowded.   As one person said to me at Trail Days
this past year: "I like the AT, it is all this hiking I can't stand".
Some people enjoy the social aspect more. Hike your own hike, I guess.
Part of the more crowded nature of the trail.
                  Not all eastern hiking trails are crowded. On a recent
trek of Vermont's "Long Trail", went two days w/o seeing anyone.  Here in
Rhode Island,  on more than one occasion, have done day hikes in the
local state forests and not see a soul. And Rhody is second only to
Jersey in population density! (Which is one reason why  I am leaving it,
but that is another story).

 It is possible to get solitude on the AT, though. Avoid camping at
lean-tos (Shelters to non- New Englanders out there.. :D ),  and start
earlier in the season, or go Southbound.   I loved the AT, but it is a
high use trail.   When I (hopefully!) do the PCT in 2002, I look forward
to more of a wilderness experience.

OK...put my .02, back to lurking mode... :D