[pct-l] Bottled Water in Section A

Attention: Late-starting hikers and hiker-support persons

We (The Bottled Water Support Team) regret to announce that this project is
coming to a close for the Class of '99.

The bottled water cache at Chariot Canyon is depleted and will not be
resupplied. Empty bottles and bottle containers will be removed as soon as
our schedule allows.

The bottled water caches at Scissors Crossing (at the gate and the Cottonwood
Tree by the bridge) will be supported only until May 19. Litter and empty
bottles/jugs will be removed from both sites on May 23.

For those hikers arriving at Scissors Crossing after the bottled water caches
are depleted, there are two options:

1) filter/treat water from San Felipe Creek

2) hike (or hitch) 4 miles south on county road S 2 to a commercial RV
campground (Stagecoach Trails, I believe) where water is available. As an
added incentive, they also have showers, beer and other beverages.

The bottled water cache at the third gate in the San Felipe Hills (map A12)
is depleted and will not be resupplied. Empty bottles will be removed May 16.

Starting immediately, hikers must carry enough water from Scissors Crossing
to last until they reach Barrel Springs (23.8 miles away).

For hikers who misjudge their water requirements, there is off-trail water in
Grapevine Canyon at the W-W (read 'W bar W') Ranch. The owner has posted a
sign which reads "Water  1-mile W-W" beside the PCT about 1 mile south of the
third gate (perhaps 12 miles from Scissors Crossing). Personally, the spur
trail near the sign was not obvious to me. (Check map A12.)

But ... if one continues north of the sign to the third gate (from SC), there
is a more obvious spur trail leading east into Grapevine Canyon. The spur
trail is about 10 yards north of the gate and branches off to the right
(east). It is blocked by a row of rocks and sticks to indicate "not PCT," I
suppose. The marked PCT continues due north at this point.

For water, follow the spur trail about 3/4 mile east to a tall, square fence
post by a jeep road. Follow the jeep road to your left until you pass through
a wide gate (10-feet or so). Follow the fence line to your left to reach the
caretaker's house. Four barking dogs will let your presence be known. The
caretaker, if in residence, will probably come out to meet you. Both the
owner (Richard) and the caretaker (Gerald) are aware of the PCT and have
given their permission for hikers to come on private property for water.

Hikers should return to the PCT to camp unless specifically invited by the
owner or caretaker to camp in Grapevine Canyon.

We wish we could continue to supply bottled water for PCT hikers, but " ...
all good things must come to an end."

Have a safe hike north,
Charlie Jones
(for The Bottled Water Support Team)