[pct-l] late start+water drops

At 03:35 PM 4/24/99 -0500, you wrote:

>From: Kristian.Whitsett@oberlin.edu
>Subject: [pct-l] late start+water drops
>
>Hey guys-
>        I don't know how much good this post will do, but I am planning on
>starting in early June from Campo.

SNIP

>- --Kristian

>From: Charcholla@aol.com

SNIP

>IMHO, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and probable failure by
>starting from Campo that late in the year. ALL of the seasonal streams in
>southern CA will be dry by then.
>
>If your heart is set on doing a through-hike, wait until next year and get
an
>April start.

SNIP

>Charlie Jones

I'm a little late with this response. I hiked from Campo to Agua Dulce last
July. Here is my experience.

I found it to be a challenge, but by no means ultra-difficult. One needs to
learn to deal with heat. I took a mid-day siesta in some shade when going
through the lower deserts. Also, I road-walked the stretch along the San
Felipe Hills. It was 20 miles between water sources there and in that kind
of heat it seemed a bit too dangerous, especially as I was by myself. It
was about 13 miles by road.

Last summer may have been unusual, in that many water sources were running
late in the year. I'd look into this carefully before committing myself.
Charlie may be right. It depends on the water in any particular year.

An advantage is that the trail was virtually deserted. Whatever you decide
to do, good luck!

I'm still slated to start at the end of this month at Tehachapi. My goal is
to go north at least 1,000 miles in ten weeks. Looking forward to seeing a
lot of hikers out there!

- Jim Bruton