pct from hurricane helen

Hurricane Helen provides this update from Big Bear.
According to Pacific Crest Trail Volume 1 California the winds at San =
Gorgonio pass at I10 can be quite strong - at the time she was going =
thru (Thur Apr 22) they blew a green freeway sign off an overpass - and =
kicked up a lot of sand as well.
In the few miles before I10 and the few miles after, several =
rattlesnakes were seen on or near the trail.  According to one of the =
locals, they have just had little rattlers and are aggressive, however, =
these were basking and didn't either react or rattle.
In the first mile north of I10, there was a small gate with a container =
of water nearby and a sign inviting PCT hikers to stay in a small cabin =
nearby.  The sign was placed by Frank Middleton from Whitewater, who =
stopped to speak and was very sincere about helping PCT'ers.  The cabin =
is just up the road (left from the gate a couple hundred yards) was =
open, and had a few couches.  His name and phone number (909) 849-8440 =
are on the sign and he gave permission for this info to go on the list.  =
He was sincere with the offer, in his words from the sign, an =
"invitation without obligation".