Re: [pct-l] bear canisters + bear story.

In a message dated 4/23/99 10:10:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RTestman@aol.com writes:

<< Of course, we could use
 merely rubber bullets, at first, to train these humans.)
 Why is it that humans only care about humans, as if we are the only
important
 product of this planet? Nonsense. >>

Humans need training, no doubt about it.  Bears and all aspects of the
ecosystem deserve care and consideration, if not reverence.  Just about
everybody of this list has chosen to pursue recreation in the bears' habitat,
so how do we deal with the inevitable interactions between bears and people?
Ecological disasters like the Yosemite Valley metropolis have conditioned
bears to act like suburban racoons, and as a result tragically leads to their
death in many cases.  Several decades ago bears had a natural wariness of
humans.  All I am suggesting is that we try to restore natural animal
behavior and ecosystems as possible while still being able to go for a hike.
A nice first step would be to prevent private cars in Yosemite Valley.  If I
offended anybody with the rubber bullet idea, I'm sorry.  Actions like using
rubber bullets are saving the lives of bears in areas like Glacier National
Park, however.  I would hope such ideas could be considered rationally
without the lack of respect so common in internet communication.  Happy Earth
Day,  Bob Richey