[pct-l] Ultralight

Anyone unfamiliar with the PCT Handbook and the PCT-specific info detailed
therein may want to consider picking up a copy in the near future, as this
book is to go out of print. Have a look at the site:
http://members.aol.com/advenlore/index.html

A new book is due out in the near future, as it says on the site, but this
will not have the PCT-related material, per se. However, it will have all of
the lightweight concepts of that book, and then some. In my experience, it
will be a fine book indeed. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Ray does not promote minimalism. The idea is to limit the bulk of
unnecessary equipment and clothing, to lighten the mind, and then to carry
on down the trail in comfort, free of injury, and free of the worry that so
often leads us to carrying so much to begin with.

To briefly address the idea that one can go "too light," partly from my own
experience, this is relative to the individual. In terms of safety in all
conditions, the skilled hiker with no equipment is safer than the unskilled
hiker with a 60lb pack. Those choosing to go as light as possible, per their
skill level, will not attempt to ride out severe storms. They will descend
out of harm's way, and will have this ability, since they will be less
encumbered. Those packing to endure a day and night of blizzard conditions
in June on the upper flanks of the High Sierra - always a possibility - will
need much more than lots of equipment to ride out that weather. The gear can
be false security.

Happy trails,
- Blister