[pct-l] Heavy Hiking

Attitude is everything in distance hiking and your attitude is always better
if you are warm and fed. If it,s 25 degrees and snowing, you,ll be better off
in a standard tent and warm bag than some lame bivy sack and lightweight bag.
 I remember when Eric Ryback, the Jardine of the 70,s, did the PCT with only
five food drops in 129 days as the first thu-hiker and triple crown hiker of
all three big trails. The Jardine attitude in the hills has lead to an army
of whispy little hikers shooting down the trails like its a 10K race. The
thu-hiker should remember, it,s the trail that matters, not the end of the
trail. If I pack on the heavy side, it allows me to stay out through thick
and thin and plug along at a 15 mile a day pace. In my home stomping grounds
of the Olympic Mts., we get sloppy wet snow all winter and rain showers all
summer. The ultra light hiking attitude doesn,t work well with our weather
here so most prudent hikers tend to carry a little more reserve food and
gear. In the Southern Sections , I would carry up to 2 and a half gallons of
water in the drier parts of the trail. ( I drank 1 gallon per day ) No water
caches needed ( just pack it ) P.S.  I also remember a little plywood cabin
on Mission Creek in 77 with three guys and about 20 empty gallon bottles of
T-bird in front of it. Camped there and had some of their pancakes for
breakfast. They said they leased the land on the creek for 25 dollars a year
because of their gold claim in the creek which they had to mine 100 dollars
of gold per year to keep. They had a real good claim and could pan 100
dollars a day when they ran out of pancake mix and wine. ( gold was about 40
dollars an ounce then ) -------- The bakery at Stehiken is still great!