Re: [pct-l] Bears / Cantainers / Sierras

There are lots of bear problems in the Sierra. A bear canister is, now doubt,
the best way to keep food from bears.

The question is" "Is it [a bear canister] necessary for thruhikers that tend to
camp where others don't and tend to pass through the Sierra very early in the
season."

There is disagreement about the answer. Generally, one can find bear boxs in
Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP. Using Bear Boxs you will be OK until Woods Creek
bridge. Past this point there are no bear boxs but plenty of bears until Highway
108. You will be taking a risk. I personally use a bear canister but I don't
hike the long distances of a thruhiker. If you avoid camping in LeConte Canyon,
Lyell Fork Canyon or north from Tuolumne Meadows for 12 miles you can probably
get by with counter balancing.

BTW, the new aluminum canisters are only slightly more than 2 pounds.