[pct-l] Resupply at Lone Pine

In a message dated 3/22/99 8:53:58 PM PST, mhat92@tidepool.com writes:

<<  in lone pine, i'll carry out a quart to get to VVR. >>

If you're planning to resupply out of Lone Pine, the Dow Villa Hotel is good,
interesting, and cheap.  I suggest you hike out from Crabtree Meadow, doing
Mt. Whitney on the way.  (Most hikers wouldn't miss this side trip.)  After
you resupply, get back on the trail at Cottonwood Pass.  You're retracing a
few miles of trail but it's a lot easier than packing a heavy load up from
Whitney Portal.  The second time through, you might take the detour down the
Rock Creek drainage.  That's what we did in '97.

It can be a bit of a hassle getting a lift from Lone Pine up to either Whitney
Portal or Cottonwood Pass.  We negotiated a ride with one of the folks at the
hardware store just a couple blocks north of the Dow.