[pct-l] Ice Axe Choice

Mike --
I just bought the Air Tech Racing, although I haven't had the opportunity
in flat Connecticut to try it out yet.  The folks at Climb High suggested
that, although the Nepal Light is 1/2 lb lighter, the light alloy head
would not be appropriate for a lot of step-cutting.  Since that is the 2nd
most important use of an ice axe for the PCT, I went for the Air Tech
Racing instead with chromoly head. It is still over 1/2 lb lighter than the
axe I used for my first attempt in '94.

I prefer a longer axe for step-cutting sideways on a slope but they are not
available in this model.  So I backed off on length and went with the
length Jardine used (he is taller than I am) 66 cm which should be an
acceptable compromise for me between styles and is lighter than the longer.
["If you need it and don't have it -- you don't need it"]

<Ok so I don't know much about ice axes.  How does one size an ice axe?
 I'll
be using this axe for a 99 thru-hike of the PCT.  In my pursuit of the
lightest gear I could find I've come across these axes.  Both from grivel:
Air Tech Race Axe and the Nepal Light, you can see them at www.grivel.com.
Would these type of axes be appropriate for the PCT?>

-- Dave

David B. Stockton
davstock@tiac.net