[pct-l] Re: TelMail/PocketMail Computer

I am most definitely taking my TelMail on my PCT hike.  I will be using it to
write my journals and then send them home at food drops for posting to my web
site.  If anyone out there is considering a small and simple e-mail computer
for the trail I would heartily recommend this little device.  The beauty of it
is that you don't need a special connection to send/receive e-mail.  For
9.95/month (payable to PocketMail - see www.pocketmail.com for details), you
simply dial an 800#, hold the device up the phone (it has an acoustic modem),
and voila!  The device itself cost $150 (there is another slightly less
capable one from JVC for $100), has a decent keyboard and back-lit screen, and
weighs a little less than 9 oz. with two AA batteries.  The batteries last
over 70 hours between changes.

Henry