[pct-l] Alcohol Stoves

I recently used some gas line anitfreeze for fuel in my alcohol stove and
like it much more than using denatured alcohol.  The main reason is that
the gas line anitfreeze burns clean (ie no soot) unlike denatured
alcohol.  Also, there seems to be less flames coming up the side of my
cooking pot looking to singe my forearms while I'm stirring my pasta
around.  The boil times also seem to be about the same too at ~4 to 5 min
for 2 cups of cold water.

On the trail, I planned for and used about an ounce of fuel per day.  One
ounce was good for boiling 2 cups of water for dinner.  In fact, I often
ended up with extra fuel and threw some away from time to time.  But,
don't take my word for how fuel you'll use.  Use a small scale, go
through a few trial runs, and figure out how much you'll be using.  After
all, it is your hike.

john thoreson