Re: [pct-l] opinions please

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 reynolds@ilan.com wrote:

> Why is the Pur better than the Guardian? [This is not a retorical question. I
> have use first a First Need and lately a  MSR and just purchased a Guardian
> because I thought the Guardian was the consensus choice of the list]

In my 12 years on the Net, I've learned that there's no such thing as
a consensus on the Net. :-)

I switched from the Sweetwater Guardian to the PUR Hiker because my
Guardian broke. The handle snapped one day while filtering. It was
going to have to be replaced soon anyway as the seals had begun to
leak badly. That was after 3.5 months and about 2000 miles so I figure
that I got my money's worth out of it. I also prefer the leveraged
pumping action of the Sweetwater but I just don't think it's up to the
long term rigors of a thru-hike. I've heard of others breaking after
extended use too. In fact, REI even mentions in their catalog that the
Sweetwater isn't for "heavy duty use", whatever that is.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 725-3686
http://gump1.stanford.edu/kbrandt/