[pct-l] General Agreement - Be prepared

Jim Mayer wrote:
:3) I carry a Sawyer Extractor when I am hiking in rattlesnake
:country with my kids.
:(4) I carry a wide spectrum antibiotic.
:(5) I carry Tylenol 3 (Codeine) for a serious painkiller.
:I have never used it.

I too carry antibiotics and heavy-duty painkillers, as well as a Sawyer
extractor in rattlesnake country, among other medical supplies -- all for
the same reasons Jim (and, I guess, Tom -- I got into this discussion a bit
late) does. And I read "Wilderness Medicine", too -- in fact, this thread
has been a good reminder to me to pull it off the shelf for a refresher.
I've never used the serious painkiller nor even, if I remember correctly,
the antibiotic, either.

Tom Reynolds wrote:
:Actually, I am not even advocating a STOP, HOLE-UP and WAIT strategy,
:just **have a strategy and stick to it**.

I think it's great that you have a system that you like, that you feel you
can rely, that works for you. I have a system I like, that I feel I can rely
on, and that works for me. No problem, eh? I agree with your advice to have
a strategy. Since my strategy includes allowing for flexible response to
changing circumstances by an experienced and well-prepared outdoorsperson,
"sticking to" my strategy is... well, impossible not to do, I guess.

For example, when I've been in a group and someone experience chose to hike
out early, I let him go knowing he could take care of himself. When an
inexperienced person wanted to quit the trail, I went with her. If I were
hiking with a three-year-old in inclement weather (though I've never done
this), I would be a *heck* of a lot more careful about him getting soaked in
a cold rain than I had to be last summer when I hiked the Colorado Trail in
the 2nd rainiest summer ever with my 19-year-old daughter -- heck, I was
counting on *her* to watch out for me :-)  (well, we watched out for each
other). We also relied on our raingear for warmth in cold, windy conditions
and at night -- there were quite a few nights were I *wore* my raingear
inside my sleeping bag for warmth (jacket mostly but even the pants a couple
of nights). Again, when hiking solo, I am more careful about bad weather,
since there won't be anyone else there if I let myself go hypothermic --
education, preparedness, and prevention are my strategies.

:My strategy won't work many places, certainly NOT in the Pacific
:Northwest where it rains 25 hours a day...

:-)  Right...but, of course, there are places it will work -- though, even
here in New Mexico, I carry raingear on all but the sunniest of day hikes.

:but it will work in Southern and Central California
:2. Second, you can use your tent every day where you'll use
:your heavyweight rain gear twice a month.

My husband and I hiked the JMT in July a few years ago -- out of three weeks
we had one solid week of heavy thunderstorms every afternoon. We thought our
raingear really came in handy -- both for rain and for warmth.

:There is a difference between FACTS and opinion.

True -- you are stating your opinion which is based on the facts of your
experience. I state my opinion based on the facts of my experience.

:I have one that is 10 years old with 300 overnights on it and it is
:still waterproof and windproof.

Same with my tent.

:The Stephenson 3RS is bombproof in that it is waterproof and
:will handle very high winds. I don't know what "thin nylon" and
:"free standing" have to do with anything.

Well, "thin nylon" has to do with the sturdiness of the fabric; "free
standing" has to do with whether the tent can stand up without staking.
Going to extremes here...my house is more bomb-proof with regard to high
winds, rain, snow, etc., than my tent. In general, a sturdier tent is more
bombproof than a less sturdy one.
My preference is for free-standing tents -- personal preference based
on experience with the performance of both free-standing and non-free-
standing tents under various conditions, especially above timberline.

:This tent is used for high mountain ascents. I can assure you it is
:more than adaquate. There is nothing controversial about a
:Stephenson 3RS for anyone who has one or know about tents.
:The tent weighs 4.5 pounds on my scales.

Some people will do high mountain ascents fueled on doughnuts or carrying a
snowboard. :-) Actually, I don't find the Stephenson tents to be
controversial (though I guess others do) -- it's mainly that
non-freestanding tents are not my cup of tea. Though I still do like the
sound of that 4.5 pounds (does that include lines and stakes?).

:Is Jack Stephenson controversial? Look, If you can support your
:President even though he committed adultry in the White House
:and lied to you about it, you can shurely buy a tent from a nude jerk.

And if I can't support Bill Clinton...?  ;-)

:Now, in fact, I believe that my strategy is better and that people
:ought to take a look at what I am doing and why before assuming
:I am stupid.

I take a look at just about any idea. I never find it necessary to assume
that people are stupid.

Karen