Re: [pct-l] Half bags

I built a half bag (or elephant foot) with down filling 30 years ago and
have used it every year since then.  It has had more use than all my other
bags put together.  Nevertheless,  it took me a long time to get
comfortable with(years), and there are periods where I prefer a full bag.
There are a lot of advantages, but I suggest that you try it out before
going on a long trip.

The main problem that couldn't get used to was what to do with my hands. It
is hard to sleep on your back with your hands out in the cold.  I ended up
sleeping almost all the time on my side.  Then I started putting my hands
under the opposite armpit, or clamped between my thighs.  This seems to
help, but I always missed having something to pull up over me.  It
permanently changed my sleeping postures.

I used my half bag with a down sweater in freezing temperatures, and it
worked okay as long as I had something on under the down sweater to elevate
the shoulder seams off the shoulder (a small down vest works well, a wool
scarf or socks would work too)

Goforth

*