RE: [pct-l] One for Jardinintes...

Svein wrote:
>-	One of the points with Ultralight is reducing the chance of needing
>a rescue.

Baloney!  How does going ultra light reduce the chance of needing rescue
when a May or even June storm dumps four feet of snow on you at 11,000' in
the Sierra. (Don't say this can't happen, because it did to me in '77 in
one of THE driest years on record)
Let's examine this.  I can just hear the Jardinites . . .

"Um, I'm not prepared for this f#*king snow! My tarp wont support it and
caved in, nearly suffocating me!  What do I do now?"

"How in hell do I walk out without snow shoes now?"

"My alcohol stove wont work in this below zero temperatures!"

"Oh, sh*t my toes are frost bitten in these damn tennis shoes!"

Yea, right, ultra light will really reduce the need for rescue.  Of all the
stupid ideas!  THE place where you are most likely to encounter conditions
where you could need a rescue are the Sierras in Spring and the North
Cascades in Fall.  I wouldn't challenge Mother Nature, she has a habit of
conspiring against you when you're not prepared.  Go ultra light if you
want in south and north of the Sierras and Oregon maybe but don't chance it
else where.

BE PREPARED!  DONT TRADE WEIGHT FOR SAFETY!

No standard disclaimers necessary, due to the sane opinions presented.

Greg "Strider" Hummel