Re: [pct-l] pct through-hike questions, equipment list; some thou ghts

Robert Bedichek wrote:

> on the pastic trowel i go back and forth.  you've got me convinced  --
> i'll leave it behind.

wow, I sure couldn't.  I always seem to get caught short in garden of brittle
twigs and decomposed granite...particularly above tree line.  yes, thanks!  the
containers that deet seems to come in seem to large and

> <snip> i was hoping to find some smaller, but leakproof, container.

I've had good luck finding small leakproof containers at the supermarket.  Three
chains that I am aware of have sections in the health and beauty products that
offer sample sized goodies of all kinds.  perhaps a 1/2 oz sunblock container,
or sample bottle of shampoo?

There was talk of a head net.  I know of two kinds.  Both are cylanders of
netting, one closed at the top, and one open.  I prefer the open style, in that
it settles down over my hat, and held away from my face by the brim.  Make sure
the one you find is long enough to cover your neck.  I found mine at an military
surplus store.

Jeff Eckert