RE: [pct-l] pct through-hike questions, equipment list; some thou ghts

Some comments on Robert's equipment list:

	[Robinson, Brian A]  I would only bring this on the colder or
rainier sections.
> 859  North Face Climber 3D Dry Loft sleeping bag, regular, right zip
> 440  Primus titanium Stove + 215g Fuel (180g/hour)
	[Robinson, Brian A]  The "geritol" alcohol stove is a lighter
option.
> 402  red L.L. Bean pullover
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Also wear this in your bag at night when it's
cold.
> 318  Sweetwater filter kit (dry, wet adds about 50g)
	[Robinson, Brian A]  I used the Sweetwater Guardian in '97, but
found it clogged much sooner than the Pur Hiker.
>  294  large titanium cook pot
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Will a smaller one do?
> 252  Frogg Toggs w/b top
> 235  Ridge Rest 3/4 length sleeping pad
	[Robinson, Brian A]  This could be cut down some.
> 222  soft black tights
> 204  sil tarp
> 197  umbrella
	[Robinson, Brian A]  I know it's "the Ray way", but I don't use one.
> 192  North Face light top
> 190  Frogg Toggs w/b bottoms
> 179  soft green shorts (for warmth)
> 120  sun hat w/ cotton neck skirt
> 111  thin green nylon pants
> 108  8 titanium stakes (for tarp)
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Can you do with six? (or 4) Usually you can tie
directly to a tree or rock in a couple places.
> 86   ground sheet
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Not necessary when using the bivy.  Carry one
or the other by section.
> 81   nylon cord
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Most people who bring a tarp would include the
lines with the tarp.  Is this extra?
> 67   ski socks
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Do you need two pairs of socks with your
running shoes or are these for warmth at night?  I wouldn't bring them just
for night use.
> 55   plastic trowel (for digging small holes)
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Can you find a stick to dig cat holes?
> 54   vapor barrier socks
	[Robinson, Brian A]  I don't see the point of these.  Running shoes
get wet from the outside and breath VERY well.
> 49   thin hat (for warmth)
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Here's one area where I go heavier.  A good
thick balaclava is very warm for the weight.  It's also very easy to
remove/replace as conditions change.  Skimp elsewhere.
> 48   liquid soap (3-5 days worth)
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Personally, I don't use soap except in town.
LNT
> 43   guide book section
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Don't forget your compass.
> 43   large plastic bag (39 gal.) for pack cover
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Will your pack fit under your tarp or do you
mean this for day use?  If you have a long poncho, it will cover your pack.
> 42   thin gloves
> 41   1 pair North Face underware
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Don't count the pair you're wearing.  Some
would not take an extra pair, washing what they have on when they wash
themselves.  Make sure they dry quickly though.  I would, however, bring one
extra pair of socks.  Dirty socks contribute to blisters.  Changing socks
every couple hours keeps feet drier which helps when dealing with blisters.
> 41   sun block (in 12g screw-top container)
> 40   prescription sun glasses
> 33   3/8" toilet paper
> 28   2 tea light candles
	[Robinson, Brian A]  This is emergency fire starter, right?  Is one
enough?
> 27   storm-proof matches
> 25   aaa Maglite + battery w/ spare bulb in base
> 23   small swiss army knife w/ light
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Does this model have the little scissors?
They're quite useful.
> 22   plain plastic cup
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Can you eat out of the pot?
> 22   12"x12" synthetic camp towel
	[Robinson, Brian A]  My cotton bandana serves as a wash cloth,
towel, neck protector (from sun) and hanky.
> 21   emergency wistle
> 18   bag w/ 7 Q-tips, 8 capsules, 12 200mg Ibuprofen
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Vitamins?
> 18   bag w/ CA driver's license, 5x$20, $5, $1, 2 blank checks
> 14   titanium spoon
> 12   two 12"x12" of aluminium foil (heat reflector for cooking)
	[Robinson, Brian A]  A wind screen is a good idea.  Just one though.
> 11   toothbrush
> 9    4 sheets water-proof writing paper
> 9    sun block chap stick
> 7    comb
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Some might consider this optional.
> 7    12 Band-Aids
	[Robinson, Brian A]  I'd bring fewer but bigger bandages.  They can
be cut to size.  (Put extras in the drift box)
> 3    1/3 of Scotch Pad
> 2    4" of pencil
> 1    pair of ear plugs
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Add some 100% DEET bug repellant.  Nasty stuff,
but it works.  Also, don't forget your favorite blister repair stuff and a
little athlete's foot cream.

	[Robinson, Brian A]
	I highly recommend a poncho.  It's very versatile.  Tie up the head
hole and use it as your tarp as well (if it's big enough).  Then you don't
need the tarp, frog togs, or pack cover.  There are down sides to consider,
though.  Do you mind getting wet while setting up your poncho/tarp in the
rain?  Do you mind getting soaked below the knees?  You can add rain pants
for the colder sections.  Also, you'll have to tie/untie the tarp lines
often.

	[Robinson, Brian A]  Do you have poles for your tarp?  I use
telescoping trekking poles.

	[Robinson, Brian A]  You might want a real tent in the Sierra for
bug and storm protection.

>  total converted to imperial units: 16.8 lbs
	[Robinson, Brian A]  I believe most people can get under 15 pounds
of base gear.  (I don't count food; water; fuel; things like shoes, shorts
and trekking poles that are never in your pack; or the cold weather stuff
for the Sierra and northern Washington.)

> still to get:
>
> camera (my Contax is 321g (12 oz.) is much too heavy)
> ice axe (ligher than the one i have, for the first month)?
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Don't count this in your base pack weight.  If
it's a normal snow year, pick it up in Kennedy Meadows and drop it off in
Tuolumne Meadows.)
> running shoes (lighter than my New Balance 990's)?
> aaa lithium battery
> lighter container of sun block (currently have one 41g container)
> thin waterproof nylon mits (make them?)
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Gloves or mitts, not both.
> lighter water container (currently 76g for 96 oz container)
>   --> use Annie's water bag, plus small plastic water bottle?
	[Robinson, Brian A]  Try Gatoraid, Snapple, or other bottles with a
wide mouth and a screw-on lid.  They can be easily found at almost all
resupply points.  For the longer waterless stretches, add a 2-liter soda
bottle or two.  This is lighter, cheaper, and more convenient than most
commercial solutions.
	 make lighter skirt for sun hat?

	[Robinson, Brian A]  Add a list of things you'll be wearing all the
time.  Don't count these as base weight, but don't leave them home either!

	[Robinson, Brian A]  snip

> food:

	[Robinson, Brian A]  Great list of vegetarian food deleted

	[Robinson, Brian A]  You'll need better protein sources than most
people can get out of vegetarian food.  25 miles per day breaks down the
body and you must eat lots of high quality protein for repair.  Even
hard-core vegetarians almost always lapse during their thru-hikes.  Your
cravings for meat should not be ignored.

	[Robinson, Brian A]  Off the trail, I eat mostly vegetarian in order
to avoid fat in my diet.  On the trail I crave fat and eat lots of it.  The
PCT is no place for a low-fat diet.  A common mistake is packing Power Bars.
The hiker boxes get full of 'em.  Cliff bars and the like are better, but
they all have too many carbohydrates and not enough fat.  Bring Snickers
bars instead!  They're cheaper and you won't get tired of them.  Hershey
Special Dark chocolate doesn't melt easily.  It can survive the post office
and the pack if it doesn't get left in direct sunlight.  Yum!  Bring lots of
the good stuff.

	[Robinson, Brian A]  Salt is also very important in your food.
Walking all day every day leaves your body sodium depleted.  Without it,
your body can't store water and dehydration is harder to avoid.  If you
wan't to carry more water in your body and less in your pack, make sure
you're getting enough salt in your diet.  I had a large serving of salty
soup like ramen every day.  I never got tired of it.  Make sure your trail
mix is reasonably salty too.

	Do you see a pattern to my food recommendations?  A thru-hike is an
excuse to eat fatty, salty junk food!  It tastes good because it's good for
you.  Really.  Just not at home when you're sedentary.  But on the trail
it's "health" food!  Think about it.  Of course, you need traditional
nutrients too, but with a 5,000 calorie per day menu, they'll be in there
somewhere.

	[Robinson, Brian A]  snip

>  possible: 46   bug hat
	[Robinson, Brian A]  A necessity!  I had spontaneous buy offers in
Yosemite.  I should have brought an extra! ;-)

	Spring is coming folks.  Hang in there!  Plan carefully, but don't
panic.  You'll cope with problems as they come up.
	Brian - PCT '97