[pct-l] Foraging

My wife and I have been riding horses through total remote areas for almost
6 years. We have a pack string to carry supplies. Last summer we spent
riding through the Marble Mountains and Trinity Alps Down to the Sierra. We
travel slowly and just enjoy life to its fullest. We give our male to the
thru-hikers because they go into civalization way more than us. We resupply
every two months though the temptation of piza and beer haunt us. I lived in
the mountains of Montana living off the land. It's hard and it sucks. I am
glad to have had the experience though. It is much easier to have a balance
between nature and civalization. I like store bought food better than
foraging. Only time we forage is when it is necessary to exist. It happens.
Check out the chapter on my website tited Ishi Wilderness. You all will love
it. Pictures are of the cascades though. My camera is jambed with teh film
inside. We pounded acorns and made processed Acorns. I was getting tiered of
acorn bread, acorn pancakes, acorn mush, acorn cookies and toasted acorns.
We never seen on person or even a single footprint for weeks. This was prime
acorn gathering areas for the yahi indians. This was in  late fall, camping
in snow and rain. we were not hurting a soul and we could not have put a
dent in the acorns on the ground if we had a shovel and wheelbarrow. We even
made friends with some deer and a beaver on the famous Deer Creek. Ishi was
right after spending some time in Lassen's hot springs. Right now I am
working on a horse ranch training horses. We are staying in a nice guest
house in the foothills. So our trip is more like a work ride thing. It is a
balance between civalization and wilderness. Keeps things fresh and new.

Dane
flahorse.com/horseamerica