[pct-l] Early Support

Blisterfree (or is it blister now?) said

>Just curious - who is asking for these water conveniences? Who would rather
>simply take what the trail provides, and carry extra water where need be?
>Who that want a wilderness experience prefer to find plastic jugs and such
>lying obviously about the trail corridor?
>
>Caching water for oneself would appear to be one thing - and then hopefully
>a discrete activity. It would seem, though, that outside support-for-all,
>though well-intentioned, has a tendency to degrade the trail experience more
>than it would enhance it. ...(stuff edited)..  In the end, these things make
>the hiking more like city-living, and isn't this what we're trying to get
>away from? Don't the cities have enough crowding as a result of doled-out
>conveniences?
>
>I intend no flame, here. Just voicing it how I see it...
>
>- - Blister (Campo to Whitney '99)

I agree with all the above.  In addition, I question whether or not
it is a good idea to *depend* on this cached water, because who knows
how much is going to be taken by the groups ahead of you.  This is
especially true for the people starting later who will also, presumably,
find fewer natural sources.  In '97 we started from Campo on May 7th,
and only saw empty water jugs.  Not much help and kinda ugly--fortunately,
we hadn't even considered the possibility that they might be there.

Hiking the long distances between water in Section A, especially from
Scissors Crossing to Barrel Springs, gave us confidence in our skills and
fitness.  I remember looking up at the switchbacks out of Scissors Crossing
with some degree of concern, and the feeling of accomplishment that came
with reaching Barrel Springs.  This confidence is helpful in making the
rest of the trip a positive and enjoyable experience.  The water situation
doesn't really get much better (and is sometimes worse) until Kennedy
Meadows.

I guess I have problems with the dilution of adventure, and the shift of
responsibility onto someone else, that all this support entails.  For me,
the PCT was largely about self-reliance.  That said, some people we met
were *very* nice to us.

I, too, am really not trying to start a flame war here.  Just voicing my
opinion.

-Carl

Carl Mears

Remote Sensing Systems