Re: [pct-l] 1999 Day Zero Planning

Brett wrote:
>Just curious - who is asking for these water conveniences? Who would rather
>simply take what the trail provides, and carry extra water where need be?
>Who that want a wilderness experience prefer to find plastic jugs and such
>lying obviously about the trail corridor?

Dear Brett,

I, and I am sure Tom and Charlie, have considered this point extensively.
Charlie recounts helping to stash water for many people over many years.  I
personally found water an extremely difficult aspect of this section (A)
when I hiked the trail in '77.  The permanent trail did not exist then and
we walked along several dirt roads and small highways through this section.
 This offered more water opportunities than exist on the permanent trail
now.  Still, I ended up drinking out of a putrid cattle pond that could
have had severe health impacts on me had I not over boiled, filtered and
iodized it.

The section of the trail from just north of Mt. Laguna to Barrel Springs
had little or no water last year, a particularly wet, El Nino year.  This
section is about 43 to 45 miles.  Carrying sufficient water to go this
distance in hot weather could mean at least 2 gallons and as much as 4
gallons, ie: 16 to 32 pounds. Closest water to any part of the trail is on
the order of a 3 to 5 mile side excursion, one way, 6-10 miles round trip.

We are responding to direct requests for help in water stashing this
particular section only by several individuals aiming to hike this year.
It was our thought that while we are going to the effort to help a few, why
not provide sufficient supplies for many.  Our intention is not to detract
from the wilderness experience of the trail but to consider the least
intrusive way to provide this water in the interest of trail support and
safety.

The places where we intend to stash the water are in non-wilderness areas.
Therein, I don't believe that we will be detracting from the wilderness
experience.

Those looking for a more pure experience may choose to pass up the water
and rely on sources off of the trail or carry the extra water necessary.
But, in that light of purity, will you also pass up the water from a faucet
in a campground, or food available in a store?

Your points are well taken, I respect your position and I don't take this
as a flame inciting post nor do I offer this response in flame incitation.

As a former thru hiker and one who values wilderness fanatically, I support
your intent and I suggest that many past acts of well intentioned support
may in fact have had a negative effect on the trail's experience.

Last Sunday, in scouting the San Felipe Hills we realized that there simply
is no access other than on foot or hoof.  I suggested to Tom and Charlie
that maybe this O.K. because after all the intent of our support is to make
it passable, not downright easy.  And isn't it nice that there are long
stretches of the trail that are not accessible in any other way?

Thanks for your post and concern.

Greg "Strider" Hummel