[pct-l] 1999 Day Zero Planning

This is from Greg, Charlie and Tom in response to the perceived and known need
for reliable water in Section A:

This is a specific recommendation for 1999 hopefuls on how to hike Section A and
detail the moral and water support we plan to provide. Greg, who has hiked the
entire trail, Charlie who knows Section A very well and Tom who is an avid trail
supporter, put their heads together to come up with this plan.

We recommend that you start your trip from Mexico on Friday, April 16, 1999. We
will get you to the trailhead Friday in time to check-in and hike the three (3)
miles from the border to Highway 94. At this point the purist will continue and
walk as many miles as he chooses, planning to arrive in Lake Morena on Saturday,
April 17, 1999. Another approach is to quit walking at this point and camp with
the support team at Lake Morena on Friday night. On Saturday morning get up and
dayhike the 17 miles from the road to lake Morena Campground [leave most of your
weight at Lake Morena]. Alternatively,  begin Saturday morning from the border
and dayhike the 20.2 miles.

We advise NOT camping south of Lake Morena because of increased illegal activity
in the Campo area. The trio was amazed at the amount of Border Patrol activity.
It seems that, since the border was tightened up around San Deigo, there is lots
more activity along the PCT. We believe it is safer to not camp below Lake
Morena and to camp in a group at Lake Morena. However you choose, the goal is to
arrive at the Lake Morena Campground for the First Annual Day Zero PCT Kickoff
(1st ADZPCTK). How could you miss that!

The First Annual Day Zero PCT Kickoff will be held Saturday, April 17, 1999 at
spaces 59 & 60 of Lake Morena Campground. The support team will barbecue dogs,
burgers and steak [vegetarians are in deep shit] and supply all the beer and
wine you can drink! Additionally, a huge amount of information will be available
from the team that has scouted Section A.  Wecan give you current information
about the trail and maps to the water sources.  If you can, don

?t miss this
event. Obviously everyone on the list, 1999 hiker or not,  is invited. Show up
and put a face to a name.

Leaving Lake Morena

Next water is Border Oaks [32.8] store [store closed], 5.9 miles up the trail.
Those not suffering too badly from a hangover should make the next stop, Cibbets
Flat Campground [32.8] another 6.7miles up the trail.  Either the water will be
turned on or the support team will spot water for the hikers. Take advantage of
the picnic tables and flat spaces and camp at this campground.  The next stop is
Mt. Laguna [42.9] 10.1 miles further along the trail. Do NOT skip Mt. Laguna.
Fill up your water jugs here and camp somewhere on the trail or at Burnt
Rancherita Campground, again taking advantage of the flat spots and picnic
tables..

The next water spot will be just past Pioneer Mail Picnic [53.0] area
approximately 11.5  miles up the trail. The water at Pioneer Mail is turned off
for the winter.  If it isn?t turned on when you come through, walk north about ½
mile on the trail. Just 100? before gaining a junction with a paved road
[Kwaaymii Point, on the map but not named] and south of Granite Peak [on the map
and named] you will notice a stone and concrete obelisk on the right side of the
trail. Water will be stashed on top of the obelisk.

The next water will be about 11 miles ahead on the ridge between  Oriflame
Canyon and Chariot Canyon  just past where the trail leaves the (Truck Trail)
road. At a junction with the Mason Valley Truck Trail the PCT turns east and a
4WD road drops southeast. The map shows this section as a 4WD trail and indeed,
the double tracks are faintly evident. However, where we observed this section,
at the top of Chariot Canyon, it was mostly trail. From the junction with the
road, in ½ mile you will junction with a 4WD road heading north to Chariot
Canion. Continue east [to the right on the road] on the road for about 1/8 mile
to the ridge line. From here the road drops southeast into Oriflame Canyon. The
trail leaves the road to the left [North] and heads north to the west of Chariot
Mountain and drops into Rodriguez Canyon.  Water will be stashed 25? down the
trail under a bush in plain site. From here it is 13, or so, miles to Scissors
Crossing.

In summary:
1-Take two (2) days to arrive at Lake Morena Campground [20.2] and enjoy the
party on April 17
2-Take two (2) days to arrive at Mt Laguna [42.9]
3-Take three (3) days to Scissors Crossing [78.1] using water spots by the
support team

Leaving Scissors Crossing

At Scissors Crossing, water will be stashed under the big cottonwood tree. You
may get to Scissors Crossings late and probably camp there. If you go into town,
please replace the water you take and maybe a little bit more. In any event load
up for water for the L-o-o-o-n-g hike along the San Felipe Hills. We are working
on access from a private party but, at this point, we don?t have it. Consider
camping at Scissors Crossing after a long day from Chariot Canyon, then taking
two (2) days to hike the 23 miles to Barrel Springs [101.9]. At Barrel Springs
there is a nice camping area and water. The walk to Warner Springs [110.6] is
relatively easy and short so you may pick up a supply package before th Post
Office closes.

In summary:
4-Take (2) two days to Hike the San Felipe Hills [101.9]
5-Take one (1) short day to Warner Springs [110.6]

Congratulations. You have completed Section A. It has take you ten (10) days.
You refreshed your food at Lake Morena and Mt Laguna and stopped for water at
Border Oaks, Cibbets Flats, the Windy Obelisk, Chariot Canyon/Oreflame Canyon
ridge line, Scissors Crossing and Barrel Springs.

Additional water stashing is planned for the Mojave / Tehachapi area.  Location
suggestions are welcome.

Some common sense about the water stashes.

Some of the stashes are easily accessed by car, ie. they will be right along the
highway, in a campground, etc. and therefor are more easily re-supplied.  The
water stash at Chariot Canyon/Oriflame Mountain Ridgeline requires a long four
wheel drive to re-supply.  We intend to provide a large amount of water here so
that it won?t be necessary to re-supply, however, use common sense and take only
what you need as others coming behind you are counting on this.

At Scissors Crossing, you face a 23 mile hike to the next water supply and we
anticipate that you will wish to carry a gallon or more of water from here.
Therefor, we also plan to provide a large amount at this site and you shouldn?t
feel bad about taking a large amount (a gallon or more).  Again, just don?t
waste what those behind you may be counting on.

If the weather is wet while you are passing through this area and/or you are
finding running water frequently, then please leave the water for those coming
through later when it may be dry and hot.

At all water stashes, if you find that the amount is low (we will post at each
location what ?low? is) we ask that you call the PCTA at their 800 number at the
next available phone and let them know the place, the amount of water left and
any other conditions that may be pertinent.  This way, if it is judged
necessary, we can arrange to re-supply that site.

We are still finalizing our thoughts on the actual nature of the water stashes.
We are thinking that we will provide 2 liter or 1 gallon sealed plastic bottles
(the kind you can buy in any store) so that each hiker can grab one or
re-package into platypus or other personal containers, and not having to worry
about the water being tampered with.  We intend to clearly mark the water as to
its importance and need for PCT hikers only.   More specifics will be provided
later and at the 1st ADZPCTK.

RSVP if you are planning on taking us up on the hospitality at Lake Morena.  We
need to know what to expect.

Have a good hike!