[pct-l] reading suggestions

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Rebecca Sykes <rebecca_sykes@idg.com>.
* Please use <mailto:rebecca_sykes@idg.com> to reply to the sender.

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to hike the California section of the PCT beginning in mid-April. I like to read history and other nonfiction of the areas I'm in when I travel and would be interested in any suggestions listers might have for paperbacks more or less related to the land the PCT passes through in California.

So far I've lined up John Muir, "A Lady's Life in in the Rocky Mountains" (by Isabella Bird; she spent time near Tahoe on her way to the Rockies) and John McPhee's "Assembling California."

Anyone have any suggestions for paperback nonfiction dealing with California as a whole or more specific areas or subjects? (Donner party, water rights (I read Cadillac Desert, fabulous!), emmigrant trains, logging wars, etc.)

Thanks,

Third Rebecca