Re: [pct-l] Bruise OOPS

At 09:09 AM 2/13/99 -0600, radney@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Tylenol first THEN aspirin LATER if Tylenol
>doesn't work as well for you!

IMHO, bad advice. Tylenol may be easier on the stomach, but it does nothing
to help with recovery (unlike asprin).

Tylenol is different from most of the rest of the over the counter drugs
that relieve pain.

Asprin, Ibuprofin (Advil, Motrin etc.) Naproxin (Aleve), are all closely
related drugs called "non steroidal anti inflamitory drugs" or NSAIDs.

NSAIDs may cause stomach problems in some people, but they have the BIG
upside of reducing inflamation (swelling) and helping to speed recovery.
Tylenol just kills pain.

Accoriding to a Pharmacist Ultra Runner friend of mine, each person recacts
to each NSAID differently, so she works with Doctors to find the right one
for each patient. Personally, I find that Ibuprofin works best for me for
pain, but Aleve works MUCH better for helping heal injury and reducing
swelling.

For a much more indepth discussion from the long distance athletes's point
of view, see the ultra runner NSAID page at
http://www.fred.net/ultrunr/nsaids.html

I am not a doctor, and YMMV.

--
Brick Robbins                     Life is a Journey, not a Destination
mailto:brick@fastpack.com        http://www.fastpack.com/brick