[pct-l] PCT thru-hike

For several months now I've been in the unpleasant position of having to
choose between a '99 PCT thru-hike and a summer of trail crew. In most
of the years since '93 I've managed to stay out of that dilemma by just
doing both (hiking and crew). But this year it was going to be one or
the other, so after endlessly going back and forth on it, I have decided
that for now, I am genuinely drawn more to the crew world. For many
reasons, it makes me very sad to be missing this year's PCT hikers,
several of whom I've known for years. Unfortunately, I haven't yet
mastered the skill of being able to do two things like that at once. :)
So, it looks like another fully AT-related year for me, and there is
still the potential of hiking several hundred on that trail in the
latter half of the year. I wish you all well in your hike this season.
Looks like you will be in good company.

Oh, and by the way - my 2 cents on that percentages thread - unlike the
AT, the success rate on the PCT is much more connected to conditions
(specifically snowpack) of a particular year, so the rate is extremely
variable. In years where the Sierra is at or below normal, I would go
out on a limb and say that the odds are as high as 50%, and not the 10%
that has been suggested. In years like '83, or '93, '95, and '98, yes,
the lower one is probably more correct. But one close look at '96 and
'97, and it's clear that it was far above 10%.  Why are the chances of
success on the PCT higher than the AT? Well, primarily, I think it's
because the two trails have a different reputation. The AT, as this very
accessible, well used, heavily documented path, and the PCT as this
remote, wilderness where you have to worry about all these things that
nobody thinks about any more in the east. It doesn't matter how much of
all that is true - these are the images that come across. As a result,
the PCT ends up attracting people who are more likely to have experience
with long distance hiking, or any other type of long-term continuous
exposure to being in the woods. The AT, in contrast, largely because of
all the information available (which makes it sound easier than it is),
will attract many more people with almost no experience. As to which one
is actually harder - ultimately, all things considered, they are
probably about the same. Just my 2 cents. Take care,

wc