[pct-l] Long hike - Food Preparation/Drops

I noticed one comment about a friend shipping goods without weight
considerations, (canned goods) and costly shipping methods because of last
minute preparation. A well-meaning friend or family member that is not aware of
weight and nutrition considerations can cause undue stress financially and
physically.
<<<<

You've got to give your 'food drop buddy' specific instructions before you go.
For my AT thru (bear with me, I WILL do the PCT, not this year, but one of these
days), I actually bought/prepared/packed the bulk of my food, but I still gave
my girlfriend/'food drop buddy' a list of do's and don'ts, and had a discussion
with her about my backpacking strategy/philosophy of food.  She did a good job.
She also would always throw in a couple of little plastic airline bottles of
whiskey or Baileys, which was a pretty good job of ad-libbing on her part. :->

About half way up the trail, my mom got a hold of my mail drop list and began
sending me treats.  In addition to my normal food box, I was getting 20 lbs of
cookies, brownies, fudge, and homemade trail bars.  I quickly became a popular
guy to hang with at the Post Office, as I was giving the bulk of the treats
away, and my mom is an excellent baker.

Florida Tim