[pct-l] PCT maintenance in WA

> Speaking of trail maintaining...
>
> Has anyone done it? On the PCT?  I've been thinking about possibly
> spending
> a couple of weekends or maybe a week doing some trail maintenance work
> with
> a group somewhere, most likely either the PCT or the Colorado Trail.

Yup, I did a week's worth with teh Washington Trails Association. Contact
them at http://www.wta.org/wta. They have lots of single-day events, and a
few week-longers. If y'all through-hike north of Snoqaulmie Pass, please
admire the section of trail near Lemah Meadows, a bit north of Spectacle
Lake. (BTW, you MUST detour to Spectacle Lake, it's worth the  1-mile
round trip!) Pay particular attention to two large bridges that we
re-decked and re-railed. We also did a small bridge that you'll probably
not notice.

Here's how it worked on our week-long. On Saturday, you hike in with the
group. Meanwhile, the Backcountry Horsemen of Washington haul in all the
food (which you'll pay $75 for, but worth it!), most of the tools, and a
couple large tents for eating and cooking. You'll carry your basic
backpacking gear except food, plus workclothes and gloves, and maybe a
tool or two.

Saturday night is for getting to know one another. The comraderie is
really nice and you make friends quickly. Sunday you start working, and do
whatever you are able to do. After all, it IS volunteer labor! They have
three rules, in this order: be safe, have fun, get work done. It's a
pretty relaxed week but if you are gung-ho you can accomplish a lot.

You'll work from Sunday through Tuesday, about 6-8 hours a day, with
plenty of breaks and too much food. Wednesday is hike day if you are
interested. Thursday and Friday more trailwork, and Saturday pack up and
head home.

The work might include lopping brush, fixing the tread, building drainage,
and the odd bridge (I think that's a bit atypical though). THey show you
what to do and so all you need is some desire and decent gloves.

Basically, it's a ton of fun and I highly recommend it!

Steve Fox, http://www.eskimo.com/~sfox/