Re: [pct-l] Re: re: wild animal deterrent

Karen
I'm glad you enjoyed the post but it was a serious question.  I was given
the advice by a gentleman in his 60's who has backpacked extensively in the
Sierra and also Alaska.  He volunteers his time as a nature expert, docent
and trail builder at a state park. He said that he places a small open
bottle of ammonia on either side of his tie down rope and has never had his
food bothered.  He did refer to the ammonia as mountain lion pee which made
me wonder if he was joking.  He assures me he was not joking but he does not
know for a fact that the ammonia works all he knows is that he has not had a
bear problem since using it.
Helen
Re Jokes
The first rule of holes:  When you're in one stop digging.