[pct-l] Trail Memories

Eah of us have memories of wonderful times we have had on a
trail.  I would love to hear some of yours and will start by
sharing the following.  I have posted this before,so if you
have read it, sorry -- but please send one of yours to
share.  Thanks

TRAIL DREAMS

Walt and I had left Echo Lake several days before and were
headed up to Donnor Pass. We had hiked from the Desolation
Wilderness into the Granite Chief Wilderness and were almost
to Donnor Pass. Our days had been full of ever changing
terrain; we had been treated to the magnificent views of the
Lake from high above Tahoe, crossed the snow covered trail
down Dicks Pass, over lofty summits of granite peaks, around
Lake Aloha and with it's quiet beauty, down passes into
evergreen trees, and through beautiful meadows and hillsides
that were still blooming with Lupines, Indian Paintbrush and
Mules Ear Daisies. My feet hadn't stopped hurting me, but my
heart was full of wonder and thankfulness that I had been
blessed to have seen such beauty. I would celebrate my 55th
birthday the next day and we planned on being in town to
have big breakfast the next day for the occasion.  Alas, it
was not to be, I hit the wall near Squaw Valley and it took
all my strength just to get up the pass.  On the saddle at
Tinker's Knob I sat on a log and told Walt I couldn't go
another step! It was here that God had planned the most
wonderful night for us.

Our sunset was so breathtaking.  The sky was a purple-pink
with wispy clouds reaching to heaven in all directions.  It
gradually grew darker and then the sky turned a bright blue
full of twinkling stars and a full moon. I remember Walt
kissing me goodnight, the birds singing close by and the
breeze rustling the shrubs around our sleeping place.  The
sounds lulled me to sleep, I felt at peace and my weary soul
was soothed.

Almost before I knew it, the sky started to change with the
advent of morning and the rising of the sun.  The clouds
were a rosy pink and lined with gold as the sun shown from
in back of them.  As the sun slowly rose in the east, the
birds sang their joyous songs of greeting to a new day. Walt
woke me with a kiss and wished me a Happy Birthday -- one I
will always cherish -- God is so wonderful!