Re: [pct-l] How To Hike the PCT;trekking poles

Sly, I started using trekking poles on all my training hikes this winter,
mostly along logging roads now as I am seeing more and more sign of the
mountain lion (his tracks were following me up the road at one point)

Although I started using them hoping that they would help me with my knees
, I have gotten to like them and would probably use them even if I did not
have knee problems.  I like the different rhythms that I can get going, and
these rhythms often seem to pull me along, especially uphill.  Seems like I
can play the tempos of step-breathe-plant pole when my legs and lungs start
to fatigue. I do "sword cuts" and jo (staff) moves to punctuate periods of
boredom or to exercise the wrist that was broken.  It makes a poor slashing
weapon - just too light , but than there is always that pointy end. At
present, I mostly envision it as something to make me look bigger or
stranger to a curious or hunger cougar.

My poles are a very straight forward REI Summits - 3 part collapsible, no
springs.($60/pair)

I have 4 questions

1) Do the ones with springs in the shafts  help to prevent injuries or
anything else.  Is there someone who has used the non-spring types and the
spring versions that can give us some information here.

2) How long do the carborundum tips last?  Can I expect to get thru an
entire thruhike with a single pair.  What wears out first?

3) I have the collapsible 3-part 24 inch models.  These have plastic
inserts inbetween the sections,which prevent the sections from slipping,
and which can be adjusted by twisting.  I suspect that every time they are
readjusted there is a very slight wear in this part(I will be readjusting
them since I will be using them with the tent that I am building).  From
what the Campmor catalog said eventually they began to slip and will not
bear your weight.  Has anybody had this trouble?

4) several people have mentioned attaching a treking pole section to an ice
ax.  I've thought about doing this, and have come up with several ways, but
wondered what others are doing.  And where can you get replacement parts
and/or just the last section of the pole.  I tried REI, and they had
replacement plastic inserts, but no replacements for the tip.

Peace
goforth

> After receiving severe foot and knee injuries during the first half of
the AT,
> using only a single wooden pole, I switched to a set of Lekis for the
second
> half without suffering any problems.  I was able to hike stronger and
faster
> and believe they'll be a great benefit on the trail again this year.
Plus

*