Re: [pct-l] Cholla cactus and dogs

<< Jeff Jones wrote:

I rarely contact cholla cactus myself EXCEPT when removing them from my dogs.

For those of us who think that if we can see the cactus, we can avoid getting
stuck, chollas also have a very subtle way of attacking unsuspecting hikers.

The little segments will lie on the ground patiently waiting for hikers to
walk past. Since hikers are looking for snakes and large cacti (2-5 feet
tall), they normally overlook the single segments beneath their feet.

At the very worst moment, a segment will attach itself to the instep of a
hiker's boot. "Not so bad," you say? Wait ... there's more.

As the hiker moves that boot forward, the segment "viciously attacks" the
adjacent leg, sticking its spines firmly into the hiker's calf.

Be aware,
Charlie