[pct-l] Lodging and transit around San Diego

At 11:18 AM 2/4/99 EST, Slyinmd@aol.com wrote:

> I was wondering, is camping allowed on any beaches for cheap, of free!

No.

>Or perhaps some area parks that I can hang out in, putting a few drops together.

No.

San Diego is a tourist town with a warm year-round climate. Because of this we get lots of bums trying to live like thru-hikers, so they are very firm about enforcing camping laws.

Q: what is the difference between a thru-hiker and a filthy homless bum>
A: Gortex.

>I also meant state parks the area that allow camping, (possibly with public
>transportation to stores), which will give me the chance to get my gear and
>some mail drops together.

Probably your best bet would be the HI-AYH Youth Hostel downtown (http://www.hostelweb.com/sandiego/), or there are a couple of private hostels in the beach area (banana bungalow is one of them http://www.bananabungalow.com/sub/bbsd1.html).

We have pretty good public transport in San Diego, but it all Hubs downtown, so if you want to get from point A to point B, you usually have to go A-Downtown-B which can be quite a trip sometimes. Here are links to San Diego Public transit

http://www.sandag.cog.ca.us/sdmts/index.htm

Here is info on the bus to Campo
http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/cts/rural/888_894.pdf

Here is a list of cheap places to stay near downtown.
http://www.budgethotels.com/accommodations/usa/california.CA/sandiego/