Cc:            pct-l@edina.hack.net
From:          "Jeffrey J. Olson" <jjolson@u.washington.edu>
Date:          Wed, 03 Feb 1999 17:18:17 -0600
Subject:       Re: [pct-l] ..Cholla Cactus

I know that jumping cholla aren't supposed to jump, but while
hiking in the Superstition mountains near Phoenix one March my
girlfriend was swinging her arms and a cholla ball did seem to
jump from its bush to her wrist.  i was behind her and while I
didn't see her get attacked, I did see that she wasn't near the
plant; at least six inches away.  Maybe she was closer, and
actually brushed it.  She swears she wasn't close to it because
we too had been warned of the "JUMPING CHOLLAS" and how painful
they are...

Jeffrey Olson
Seattle, WA...where at 3,000' there is over 10' of snow...