Re: [pct-l] ..Cholla Cactus

dseashol@cub.kcnet.org writes:

<< Please forgive this east coast gal's ignorance but can you elaborate on
what a jumping cholla is Charlie.  I've got a 2-day hike planned the end of
April and just curious what I should be looking out for.  It'll be my first
experience on the PCT!  Woo Hoo! >>

Kathy,

(From "Colorado Desert Wildflowers" by Jon Mark Stewart)

Teddy-Bear Cholla  Opuntia bigelovii

Teddy-bear cholla is commonly and inappropriately also called "jumping
cholla." The stems, which are heavily covered with straw colored spines,
readily detach from the parent but do not "jump" off the plant. An easy way to
remove a piece of cholla if you should get stuck by one is to place a comb
beneath the joint and launch it in an uninhabited direction. This cactus grows
2 to 5 feet tall, and its flowers are a light, clear yellow. Teddy-bear cholla
is usually prolific on alluvial fans and benches, propagating itself from the
joints that fall to the ground.

Be careful; it's a desert out there. <grin>

Charlie