Re: [pct-l]Cheers!

Cheers!

>Please do not think that because we have not hiked the entire PCT that we
are inexperienced hikers.  My vet has carefully examined Ceilidh for any hip
problems.

I salute your upcoming PCT hike with Ceilidh and you both will probably have
a very wonderful experience together! Too many times I have seen people take
their dogs on the trail because THEY wanted them there and ended up with the
dog injured, sometimes seriously for life.  It sounds like you have thought
out your dogs needs FIRST and are prepared to end your trip rather than
continue with your dog going from vet to vet just to keep them on the trail
with you.

As far as rattlesnakes are concerned, we saw quite a few and most of them
were older ones who would probably stay away from Ceilidh unless she were
chasing them.  Younger snakes haven't yet learned how much venom to use and
when to strike or turn rattletail!  Mostly there were lizards and horned
toads. I still would not have her use an umbrella unless you have her
trained for the noise and sudden movement from the wind -- sounds like she
might me an easy dog to train.  You said she is black  -- is she a border
collie, black lab, mixed breed?

The Samoyans wore the booties, but they didn't always stay on and they
bothered the dogs.  They were always trying to take them off!  It was
probably their temperment.

Wishing you and Ceilidh a success PCT hike together! Hope to see you on the
trail.

Happy Trails --- Pat