[pct-l] re: TNF Canyonlands

"Anyone got any info?"-Svein

I don't know if my previous message got out, we're having network problems.
I too am curious about this tent. I've only seen it in the latest Campmor
catalog. I believe TNF doesn't yet have a '99 catalog available. REI didn't
have any info on it, as well as another major East Coast Chain.

The tent is a single pole, non-freestanding, partial dome tent. The pole
running from head to foot, thus putting the door conveniently on the side.
As I seem to recall the square footage was around 23', room for one, or as
the ad said "two very close friends". I am only assuming the main tent body
is a ripstop or taffeta polyester or nylon (The ad said the tent had vents
on the top and bottom). The fly sounded standard, with room to put gear
underneath. I think the packaged weight was 4 lbs. The price was

Then I did my '82 thru-hike I had a prototype 1.5 man half-dome by
Adventure 16. The side door was a godsend, providing the ability to cook
just outside the tent while in the warmth of one's sleeping bag.
Once that wore-out I never found a similar tent, and went to the standard
tunnel-style tents, with their doors on a narrow end. Last summer I did the
JMT with a new Marmot Hardshell. This tent  is for sale
for the price of the two person version of the above tent, the "Slick Rock"
(I paid $300, the Slickrock is two something). My tent only saw careful use
(and now careful storage) on the JMT, if anyone is interested. I'd like to
eventually get each, as both my wife and I backpack, but we haven't had a
weekend off together for awhile.

Ken Marlow