Re: [pct-l] Non-Canine Buddy

Joanne Lennox wrote:

> Well, I meet a goat and dog pair on the Hanagan pass trail (major North
> Cascades Park entrance trail), and this goat was not as well behaved.  The
> goat was named "oreo", it was black and white, as was the dog, which is why
> I mention them as a pair. The goat was in front going up trail as I as
> coming down.  I paused pondering the incongruity of a goat, and of a goat
> and dog that were so closely colored.  the owner and I started up a
> conversation, and the goat past by me.  AND THEN, it stood straight up on
> its hind legs uphill from me, cocked its head, and at the moment that it
> dawned on me what was to happen next, I was knocked over by the owner
> grabbing for the goat and saying "no, NO Oreo".  we both laughed nervously,
> and I picked myself up, and he let go of the goat, and looked back at me.
> And the Goat trotted past him, stood up on its hind legs, cocked its head
> again,and I retreated FAST.  Maybe it was the ice ax or whatever.  But as
> much as I like goats, I decided that I would just as soon that they are not
> on the trail.
>
> I feel the same about dogs.
>
> My niece worked in a park where dogs were charged an entrance fee (Excuse
> me little dog, do you have your purse?).  if people and horses have to be
> permitted, why not dogs.  Dogs do not read, they do not know about Leave No
> Trace, in fact they leave a lot of trace around.
>
> Peace
> Goforth
>
> ----------
> > From: Kevin Corcoran <kevin@hughes.net>
> > To: pct-l@backcountry.net
> > Subject: [pct-l] Non-Canine Buddy
> > Date: Saturday, January 30, 1999 6:35 PM
> >
> >       PCTA members probably saw in the Nov/Dec PCTA Communicator the
> > story of Sandra Johnson, who hikes with a goat.  (No, I'm not making this
> > up)
> >       A 1991 PCT thruhiker herself, she got it from a guy in WY that
> > raises, trains, 'rents' and sells them just for packing.  It carries up
> > 20 lbs of gear, doesn't need to take its food along (they can eat and
> > process anything, kind of like thruhikers ;-), it needs no trailer to get
> > to TH's,  is well-behaved, and can negotiate blowdowns with ease.  It
> even
> > has its own little tent to sleep in at night. As far as access is
> > concerned, I expect that a goat could be allowed anywhere a horse is
> > allowed, and that's the entire PCT. They need to be led by a leash in
> some
> > areas to abide by rules, NP's I'd expect....
> >       I ran into the pair on the PCT last July and paused to find out
> > about this woman hiking with a goat.  She was writing some trailguides
> and
> > the goat helped carry the journals.  The goat was sure a cute little
> > thing....Sandra told how that with the extra capacity, resupplying can be
> > less frequent. While we talked the goat was very well-mannered.  When
> they
> [...]
I am so tired of this constant bickering over dogs, goats, horses, this
way that way. We are here to hike and enjoy the outdoors. Yes, we do
need to take care of the backcountry. I have been hiking the emigrant
wilderness for over 25 years and have taken all sorts of animals with
me. I have worked at a pack station , to help improve the way they use
the back country, take care of it. I have taken my dog Shilo on the
approved sections of the trail . My dog , not like some people actual
goes off trail to do her thing. Maybe manners and trail sense are born
into some of us, others your guess is as good as mine. Maybe some people
do not like to hike with other humans but instead prefer a four legged
companion. For what it is worth , I look up to the woman hiking with the
goat, after all she is enjoying herself, what else is there in life.
indian on the trail
--

Restoration Pathfinders
P.O. Box 1419